[MPlayer-dev-eng] Neep some help from a proper user interface

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Feb 20 09:26:49 CET 2002

Hi D Richard Felker III,

on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:47:02 -0500 you wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:31:35PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> > I reviewed a little structure of this stuff. Now it's created using 3 demuxer, one for
> > video, one for audio and one for subtitles. One demuxer can take two of these places.
> > So now I think to add -audiostream and -substream options to select external files.
> > -aid will apply to the file given to -audiostream (if any) and -sid to -substream.
> > Does anybody has something against that, or is it ok like this ?
>
> will there be any way to make it use the same demuxer for both audio
> and subs if they're both in the same file? as i understand it, using
> two separate demuxers can be a good bit slower especially when reading
> from slow media like cdrom, but maybe this isn't much of an issue
> except with audio/video.

This demuxer take as input 3 demuxer, but one can be in two place. Like video and
subtitles, or audio and video. Even the 3 if you want :)
For speed dunno, _perhaps_ it can be better for badly interllaved files, but I doubt.
We should check. Anyway their is still the caching issue.I think to do it like this :
the cache option will be global to the 2-3 streams, but two option like audiocache
and subcache can then be used to override the cache value for the audio and sub
streams. This way we can select the exact wanted cache size for each stream, and
we keep a simple way for the common case (ie the same cache size for all streams).
	Albeu