[MPlayer-dev-eng] libmpcodecs vs. filter layer

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Fri Feb 15 11:55:41 CET 2002

Hello, Arpi!

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:50:16 +0100 you wrote:

> Hi,

[snip]
> > > - we should implement direct rendering (supporting static, temp and mixed
> > > (2*static+1*temp) buffer types)
> > temp - imho it's case when buffer is located in RAM, isn't?
> > Then such "direct rendering" exists in every player ;)
>
> nope
> static mean buffer which 'remember the content' so if only a part of the
> image changes at next frame it's enough to update just that part.
> temp buffer mean it don't have to keep its content, can be changed or moved
> in memory at every frame. it can be altered by osd, postprocess and stuff.

this is posible only with opensource codecs after deep hacking them, imho

> > IMHO, you've missed video buffer type!
> ?

Please look at dec_video.c - there is already implemented direct rendering into
video memory directly (if your card support 16 bytes pitches)!
It speedup decoding on 10-20% (codec depended)
[snip]
> > > current way of video decoding:
> > > - open demuxer, it MUST provide image dimenstions
> > > - init libvo
> > > - init video codec, allocate decoder buffer
> > video codec initizalization is before libvo init.
> > Due that I can pass vo_tune info into libvo.
> hmm

Yes yes!

[snip]
> > >        config() now, as init is started erlier to get outfmt list)
> > Do you have such movies with variable width,height?
> concatenate 2 different mpeg files :)
> anyway i mean files with bad or missing w/h values in file header.
> it's often bad for quicktime files (they include display size into header
> while the codec work on buffer size) and missing for vivo, multifile

Do you have mpegjoin or similar SW? Or I can just use cat for that?
[snip]