[MPlayer-dev-eng] A few thought about console vo driver

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 11 22:52:14 CET 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm currently writing a gpm mouse driver for my input system and had to figth a little
> with vo_fbdev (gpm don't work in graphic mode) and I saw that the fbdev driver
> have some code for video mode switching. And this fired a question in my brain,
> why does this code is only avaible for fbdev, it can be useful for other console
> drivers. Because even with hw scaling 320x200 => 1024x768 look ugly.
> Is there any reason to not do a console_common.c and put this in all console
> driver (at least when it's a fb console) ?
> Also I thought it's perhaps possible to add fullscreen/resolution switching
> (throw the new vo->control interface) to have "all" vo driver do what f and c
> keys do with vo sdl.
> Keep in mind these are just suggestions ;)

i would recommend against using gpm for fbdev and other console based
vo modules. right now, they're entirely independent of actually being
connected to a virtual terminal as their controlling tty; for example,
i always run mplayer from inside my screen session, and it's even
possible to run it on x with fbdev or mga vo, as long as your x server
is configured to cooperate with the framebuffer device properly.

i'm not too familiar with libgpm, but i don't think it would be
possible to make mplayer work with libgpm intelligently without having
a virtual console as a controlling terminal. also, out of curiosity,
what's the use of mouse control for mplayer?

rich