[MPlayer-dev-eng] libmpeg2 0.3.1 api changed : libvo\vc_libmpeg2 doesnt compile anymore

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Dec 21 01:41:10 CET 2002

Hi,

> I was trying 2 get the latest libmpeg2 too work with mplayer
oh dear... :)

> unfortunaly the libmpeg2 guys changed the api.
> Are there any plans for updating libvo\vd_libmpeg2?

yes it's on my TODO since ages, but i didn't have enough time to
understand the enw api. once i started to chaneg teh code, but i found
problems with the new api - it has 2 level of structs, one in teh public
headers and one in the private ones. unfortunatelly i need many stuff from
the private one too.

a quick hack qould be just updating vd_libmpeg2.c to us ethe new slice.c and
others, but ugnoring the new api.

the better would be changing the libmpeg2 api to fit our needs and then
change our part too.

actually my No.1 problem with libmpeg2 api (both the old and current one) is
that it includes the mpeg-ES demuxer in the codec. and, at least in mplayer,
the mpeg-es demuxer is implemented in teh demyxer level, and the codec
already receivs teh demuxed, re-assigned mpeg frame.
i told this to Walken (libmpeg2 maintainer) and he tried to incorporate this
into the new api, but half success only, at least it looks so.

again, i didn't fully understand how the new api works, it's a way
overcomplicated, or buggy. (i mean many inconsistency in teh api, some
functions are in the public headers but they are useless (can't even be
called) without soem other defined in the private headers. or they're just
using structure snot defined in public h's...)
i think the api needs some more design, or i need some more sleeping before
trying to understand it :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team