[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorenson 3 encoding :)))))

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Dec 16 19:21:59 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 19:04, Balatoni Denes wrote:
> Hi!
> But hopefully they don't care about mplayer/ffmpeg, as it was said before me.
> And hopefully xvid is kind of legal. And xiph.org will come up with something
> great soon maybe, and we can all forget about patents.

as i know xiph. org is playing with theora or which is basically putting
on2's VP3 codec into the ogg container format...

vp3 is free ( some parts are patented by on2, but they made an
irrevokable whatever that states that you can use it freely to do
anything ).

the question is:

does anyone have any experience with VP3? how does it compete with
mpeg4?

gabor