[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist round 0

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Dec 10 08:44:14 CET 2002

Hi,

> >  * support for VirtualDub and Winamp plugins
>
> I have started to look at Winamp plugins.

Alex already implemented some kind of winamp plugin support, but the main
problem is that winamp codec plugins include input handling, ie. connecting
to http streams, reading files etc, so it's a big messy hack, and afaik not
working yet.

virtualdub is better, there was a semi-working version long time ago. the
main problem there is c++. so either it means hacks like the dshow/dmo code
in loader (lowlevel emulating msvc's c++ structures / virtual procedures)
or writing & using a c-c++ wrapper DLL.

> > Difficult stuff:
> >
> >  * reverse engineer all closed codecs (SVQ3, QDM2, WMV8/9...)
>
> For people interested in this the following links may be useful:
>
> The dcc Decompiler
>   http://www.it.uq.edu.au/groups/csm-old/dcc.html
>
> Program-Transformation.Org
>   http://www.program-transformation.org/twiki/bin/view/Transform
>
> Boomerang (not finished)
>   http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

i've never heard about these, thx

> IDA-Pro (commercial product)
>   http://www.datarescue.com/idabase

isn't this windows-only and/or commercial stuff?
i remember seeing it under DOS long time ago, but afair the freeware version
couldn't save the code

anyway, there is another good stuff, HT v0.7. we used it a lot for
the quicktime dll hacks:

http://hte.sf.net

it's an interactive hex/asm viewer (like Nick's BIEW), with ability to append
comments and name labels to the asm code, search for xrefs and many more.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team