[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question Re: Encoding a QT file with mencode

J. J. Franzen jj at lacasabonita.com
Fri Dec 6 01:47:24 CET 2002

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in encoding qt? IMHO it's
>a very bad thing, it just makes for more movie files encoded with
>crappy proprietary codecs that can only be played on x86 with the
>binary qtx stuff.

Actually, it's not by choice...  I'm trying to find a command line
utility for taking a sequence of frames and encoding them into a
Quicktime file using Avid's Meridien Uncompressed codec.  The reason I
need to do this is it has the fastest import times of any file format
we've gotten an Avid to import.  And in our production, speed is always
of the essence.  I was hoping to get a Linux solution so we wouldn't
have to place a Win32 box into such a critical point of our production
pipepline, but that looks like the only choice I have at the moment.  At
least, until Avid decides to recompile their codec for Linux (not
holding breath on that one).  Thanks for the info, guys.

J^2