[MPlayer-dev-eng] mga_vid memory detection error

Sytse Wielinga s.b.wielinga at student.utwente.nl
Mon Dec 2 09:35:41 CET 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 01:46:08AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Since "lspci -v" reports "16Mb", wouldn't it be a good idea to use the
> > subsystem vendor/device id for the memory detection?
>
> hmm
>
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev
> > 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> > 	Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G400 Dual Head 16Mb
> > 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
> > 	Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
> in the first versions i uded this as memory size -------^^^ badly as you can
> see, so i've changed it to use chip configuration register flags as the docs
> said. also bad...
>
> i wonder where is that 16Mb above comes from...

Like he said, the subsystem vendor/device id. My guess is that the
102b:0328 version of the G400 is buggy. I have the 102b:0338 version and
it correctly says it has 16M of memory in the configuration register
flags. Using the configuration registers still is the right thing to do,
though, as future revisions will still be supported without adding
support for the new pci id's; you should add a check for the 102b:0328
pci subsystem device id and use 16M instead of 32M in that case.

By the way, the latest pci id list can be found at
http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids.bz2

Sytse Wielinga