[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist round 2

rsnel at cube.dyndns.org rsnel at cube.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 29 11:37:07 CEST 2002

Hello,

Four points for the wishlist:
  * seeking in realmedia files

(Just three architectural 'Would Be Nice, but, as yet, Too Lazy To Do It
Myself' points)

  * ability of vo drivers to request 'scaling' playback speed of fixed
    fps movies. (so that mplayer would automatically speed up 23.97 fps
    material to 25 fps for playback on a pal tv (i.e. the sound will be
    played faster too to stay in sync, the pitch becomes higher)

  * A 'cinerama' video filter that can be used to distribute the frames
    over different (instances of) vo devices. (as in: 'send the left part
    of the movie to THIS (+parameters) vo driver and send the right part
    to THAT vo driver) The zr driver can do this, but I feel that it is
    the job of the MPlayer core and not of the video output drivers.

  * Move the zoran jpeg encoder to the video filters. This can only
    be done if the zr driver (or vo drivers in general) can report their
    capabilities to the video filters. Example: for the DC10+, the zr
    driver should say something like this:
       For MJPEG_NONINTERLACED, I can do full screen at
         - 768x288 pixel aspect 2, partial images must have height%8 == 0
           and width%16 == 0, partial images can be placed everywhere
         - 384x288 pixel aspect 1, partial images blah blah blah...
         - ..... etc ...
      For MJPEG_INTERLACED, I can do full screen at
         - 768x576 pixel aspect 1, partial images must have height%16 == 0
           and width%16 == 0, partial images blahblah.....
    The X11 driver should give a list of resolutions defined in
    XF86Condig and xv should be able to say 'I can do everything'.
    'Fullscreen decisions' like: 'should we scale', 'what resolution
    should be used', 'is aspect preserved' can be moved from the vo
    drivers to the MPlayer core. vo drivers will be dumb again and only
    able to put black borders around partial images. (and maybe subtitle
    overlay, but I am not into that) Maybe there are/will be vo drivers that
    do not allow partial images, so scale or expand will become necessary.

Greetings,

Rik.

--
Nothing is ever a total loss; it can always serve as a bad example.