[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist round 2

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Aug 29 03:14:41 CEST 2002

Hi!

OK, seems like the wishlist was a resounding success, these items have
already been implemented :-)

 # all framebuffer drivers should completely blank the screen like
   fbdev does (mga and tdfxfb

 # remove old input code

 # somebody to assist Arpi in reviewing incoming patches

 # settle for config location /usr/share/mplayer/ vs /etc/mplayer/

There is one thing I'd like to see done some day and since nobody
seems willing to do it I will give out a reward to the one that
finally tackles it:

 * Rewrite divx4_vbr.c

Yes, this is serious, start negotiating the donation you would like to
have.

The full list is huge, here is a collection of items from the thread:

Difficult stuff:

 * reverse engineer SVQ3

 * stay in pause after seek, fullscreen etc

 * write sthg like mptv to replace xawtv

 * write a c implementation of rtsp (redundant)

 * real mmsu:// support

 * encode to mpg, ogm, mp4, asf

Small improvements:

 * vo mga should completely blank the screen like fbdev and tdfxfb

 * fix configure to detect cygwin properly
   (config.mak needs to be edited by hand currently)

 * Debian package creates mplayer.conf.1 .2 ...

 * -vo fbdev -fb device ---> -fbdev:device

 * accept -dvd 9-12 command line

 * specify suboptions in a config file without braking playback (use
   channel 21 if using -tv, same idea for -vop, -aop, etc...)

Documentation:

 * a nice and complete MEncoder tutorial

 * continue docs review

 * check docs for completeness

 * write documentation HOWTO/rules document

 * make the manpage readable on 80 column consoles without needing to
   manually refit table columns

 * New german documentation maintainer ;)

 * good comparsion between the known movie players

Filters:

 * eq filter should support RGB in addition to YUV

 * drop-deinterlace plugin

 * hue, saturation sw eq filters

 * implement gamma correcture filter

Bug fixes:

 * fix mf ijpg encoding

 * fix crashing DLLs

Cleanup:

 * move -dump* options to mencoder

 * integrate dvdnav into mplayer structure

 * integrate libmpdvdkit2 into mplayer structure

 * remove all obsolete code, options, files etc

 * modularize all VOs and AOs, like vidix drivers; it'd make the main
   binary smaller and packager's job easier

Enhancements:

 * adapt colored output from MPlayerXP

 * port VIDIX from MPlayerXP

 * finish Alban Bedel's OSD menu

 * SSA style & colors handling

 * plugin structure for vop/aop

 * support for Virtual Dub (or how it's called) plugins

 * implement xawtv config file parser (for channels, etc)

 * icc support (wasn't the patch committed lately enough?)

 * G400 2nd head through mga_vid ;)

 * dts support

 * do more things automagically

 * guess correct DVD title

 * DVD navigation

 * better xscreensaver implementation

So we have lots of stuff already and there surely is more, just let
your ideas flow.

What I would like to discuss now is how to present this, we want to
attract coders after all..  Put this into DOCS/tech/wishlist?  Create
www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/wishlist.html?  Both?  Mail this to -users
and hope for reactions?
I'd like to hear about your suggestions.

Diego