[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Problems playing non-MPEG streams using RTSP

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Aug 7 12:31:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I'm still having trouble receiving GSM audio streams, however.  Can you
> tell me what the various WAVEFORMATEX fields should be for GSM?
>
> (Recall that GSM compresses each block of 160 samples into a resulting
> 33-byte frame, and that there are 8000 samples/second - so that each
> 33-byte frame corresponds to 20 ms (i.e., 50 frames.second).)
>
> Here's what I've been trying:
> wf->nChannels = 1;
> wf->nSamplesPerSec = 8000;
> wf->nAvgBytesPerSec = 1650;  // == 33*50
> wf->nBlockAlign = 33;  // IS THIS CORRECT???
> wf->wBitsPerSample = 16; // CORRECT??? - the samples have been compressed
> wf->cbSize = 0;  // IS THIS CORRECT???

hmm, they are ok for the standard GSM, but not the MS one.
afair no standard gsm decoder in mplayer, at least not finished (xa_gsm
contains the decoder). could you upload a .mov file using this format, so i can
fix it?

> However, I still get the
>          ACM_Decoder: Unappropriate audio format
> error.
>
> Has gotten the Win32 GSM decoder to work with "mplayer"?  If so, what
> WAVEFORMATEX parameters were used?

the win32 dll only handles the m$ gsm variant (2 gsm packets
combined/interleaved somehow, resulting in 68 byte 320 sample long packets)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team