[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: Re: [MPlayer-users] resampling frequency using mencoder and lame

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Aug 1 21:40:23 CEST 2002

This got lost yesterday, when I misconfigured my system...

D Richard Felker III writes:

 > > > -srate is for forcing mplayer/mencoder to interpret audio as being a
 > > > particular rate, not for resampling.
 > >
 > > for both mplayer and mencoder it forces teh given output rate.
 > > in mplayer, it forces playback rate, and video speed is changed to
 > > keep a-v sync (so no resample).
 > > in mencoder, this value is also passed to lame, so it will resample
 > > and encode at this rate
 > >
 > > yes, a bit tricky.. but documented at least

No, at least not sufficiently.

 > This probably should be mentioned in the man page under -srate.

Of course.  Currently we have:

      -srate <Hz>
              Specifies Hz to playback audio on. Affects playback
              speed!

How about:

    -srate <Hz>
           Forces the given audio playback rate, changing video speed
           to keep a-v sync. MEncoder passes this value to lame for
           resampling.

That's not a very good, but I am dead tired right now.  Comments?
BTW the resample plugin is only documented rather obscurely in
sound.html..

Why does my ToDo-list only get longer and longer?

Diego