[MPlayer-dev-eng] Runtime CPU detection and fastmemcpy

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 28 01:51:36 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > Having volunteered to maintain RedHat RPM, I'm trying to put together
> > > a specfile that'll produce a package suitable for as many as possible.
> > > So far I've been building only for myself.
> > > One thing I'm not sure of, though. Is fastmemcpy capability also detecte
> > > at runtime?
> > > Also, there's a problem with building against divx4linux, because you
> > > can't make a package with that (well, I could provide the specfiles).
> > > Is xvid an acceptable replacement? I've already made a package of it.
> > probably libavcodec is enough, it's encoder has gotten very good.
>
> So you're opting for a minimalist package that has a small number
> of dependecies? That's fine by me. I'll make all optional features
> disabled by default then (one will still be able to use them after

nope
atmos just said - and i agree - that libavcodec has much better quality than
divx4 or xvid, so no much sense of includong those
anyway xvid is supported, if yo include it, it doesn't hurt...

> rebuilding the source package with certain commandline options).
> Is that ok?
don't strip down basic/common features, please
you may strip alternatives, by keeping only the best
for example, there are 4 different options for dvd playuback (libcss,
libdvdread, libdvdnav, libmpdvdkit) it's enough to keep one (dvdkit)

> Also, I think the "runtime CPU detection" doesn't work properly, I've
> compiled mplayer with every cpu-specific feature (i.e. mmx, mmx2, sse,
> sse2, 3dnow, 3dnowex) enabled (--with-xxx) and I got signal 4 (invalid
> instruction) upon playing any movie on my AMD Duron. Bug report coming
> in soon.

huh?
do --enable-runtime-cpudetection !

using --enable-sse etc will result signal4, unless your cpu support these
instruction sets... it is the non-runtime (default in cvs and pre2) way.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team