[MPlayer-dev-eng] best colorspace to look for black frames

Brian J. Murrell e97080b7a4867c59cab88d6f27a09856 at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Apr 24 09:57:28 CEST 2002

OK, in case you didn't realize it I am pretty new to this video stuff.
I don't really understand all the many differences regarding
colorspaces.  I understand the basics (i.e. YUV vs. RGB) but there
seem to be so many choices with MPlayer.

So I am wondering two things.

1) Which colorspace would be easiest for determining if a pixel is a
   certain amount of black (i.e. between a specific shade of grey and
   pitch black) and

2) How can I figure out how to extract the color information for a
   given pixel from the "plane(s)" in the mp_image_t * returned by
   vf_get_image()?  I think I have determined that RGB colorspaces use
   3 planes for each pixel (one plane each for R, G and B) and YV12
   uses only the one plane with the YUV values packed into it, but in
   what format, I dunno.

Is there anywhere I can read about this stuff, especially as MPlayer
has implemented it?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell