[MPlayer-dev-eng] A RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Fredrik Kuivinen freku045 at student.liu.se
Thu Apr 11 13:42:52 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:22:49PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:16:38PM -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> > At 04:55 PM 4/10/02, you wrote:
> > >"lots of systems lack or have broken c++ compiler and/or libs"
> > >
> > >Actually I don't think so. Which systems are you talking about?
> > >Anyway don't we require gcc anyway? And a pretty new version of gcc
> > >too if I am not mistaken. Then it shouldn't be a problem. I am quite
> > >sure that this rtp implementation works perfectly fine with g++.
> >
> > Yes, the code is built and tested primarily with g++ on FreeBSD (and Linux)
> > systems.  (It can also be built on Windoze using MS Visual C++, or Borland.)
> >
> > It turns out that C++'s class inheritance mechanism (using virtual
> > functions) is extremely useful for building media streaming code like
> > this.  After looking at the "mplayer" code, I also think that some of its
> > data structures (e.g., "stream_t" and "demuxer_t") would have benefitted,
> > had they been implemented as C++ classes instead of C structs.  (This is
> > not intended to be a slight against the "mplayer" code; the decision to
> > write it purely in C was a perfectly reasonable one at the time.)

[useless, offtopic C++ flame]

> The comment of yours I find most offensive is the "at the time" one.
> Having a program written in C is a perfectly reasonable decision at
> any time, not just "back when mplayer was started" or "back before
> they realized they'd want to do this stuff". If you like C++, that's
> fine, but most of the people here do not, and the way you worded your
> message is highly condescending. Personally, if I had the time, I'd
> rewrite the RTP code for mplayer just to get you out of the
> picture...but you're not worth more of my time than it takes to write
> a rude email.
>
> Good day sir C++ troll.

I really do hope that Ross isn't scared away from the mplayer project
because of this extremly rude comment. Richard, did you read the
beginning of the sentence that you think is so offensive? I quote
"This is not intended to be a slight against the "mplayer" code; ..."
         ^^^

Another note

"the decision to write it purely in C was a perfectly reasonable one
 at the time."

mean one thing: It was reasonable to use C at the time.

It does, in particular, NOT mean:
If we started the mplayer project today it would be a bad choice to
pick C as the programming language to use.

/ Fredrik