[MPlayer-dev-eng] improving dvd performance

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Apr 10 21:37:13 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:24:46PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:57:22 -0400
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > i'm trying to figure out how to improve dvd performance with mplayer.
> > right now, the areas i'm looking at are...
>
> 3. Why the heck is vlc up to 3 times faster with finding the title keys ?
> (with the same dvd of corse)
>
> I wanted to check that for a long time, but never found a free minute for this.
> Maybe someone else could do it.

i can tell you exactly why. libdvdread has this idiocy in one of the
function calls which mplayer uses, where it cracks *all* the keys for
the whole dvd rather than just the title you want to play. just edit
dvd_reader.c and "#if 0" out the entire body of the initAllCSSKeys
function and it'll work beautifully.

an even better fix would be having it cache cracked keys in ~/.dvdread
or something, but i didn't feel like bothering with that.

rich