[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: OSD rendering

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Apr 9 14:22:45 CEST 2002

Hi

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 12:42, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Arpi wrote:
> > comments?
>
> The color format of the OSD bitmaps should be either YUVA (as used in
> DVD subtitles) or it should support multiple source formats (YUVA, RGBA,
> YA).
imho we should reduce the number of formats if possible, the idea i had to do
the new osd rendering, was to choose 1 format and convert this before
rendering to a format which is closer to the surface format that way function
which manipulate the osd (change brightness, size, saturation, hue of chars)
would only need to support the internal format & we would then convert it to
a rendering friendly format before drawing, we could allso have a cache where
we store converted chars so that for a (size, hue, saturation, char, ...)
we'll simply reuse them instead of wastung cpu cycles, we would allso need to
drop rarely used chars obviously with a LRU algo or something, sadly i dont
have the time to implemnt that :(

Michael