[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 20:05:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

I have some few questions for A'rpi or any one who wish to
give me some clues.

The purpose of the thread I'm using in the streaming network
code is to handle network events. When a new packet is
arrived the select loop will returned. Then I take this
packet and feed the fifo and return in the select loop which
will block until it received a new network packet.
I'm trying to find the best place to put this network event loop
in mplayer main loop, but for now it's kind of confusing me.
The select loop can be use as a timer (using timeval), so if a timer is
used to sleep, it can be a good place for me to put the select loop.
Which means that if the select loop return is either because of
a network event or the end of the timer. If no sleeping is required,
the timeval can be set to 0 (zero, not a NULL timeval) and select
will return immediately. That allows to check if data is present
in sockets.
I found some usec_sleep in the main loop and I want to be sure
if that will be the appropriate place for me to look at.
( mplayer.c in the block "It's time to sleep..." starting line 1417 )
The only inconvenient I can see by removing the network thread,
is the time spend to complet the main loop once. If it's too long we
can loss network packets (we can still play with the socket buffer
queue size to reduce the packet lost). This mostly will happen
with high bitrate streams. I will try this way and see the result.

The other question is about CVS, I need to retreive MPlayer-0.50pre1
to apply and check a patch. How can I get the CVS release tags?
When I try to retreive mplayer by giving the release name MPlayer-0.50pre1
I got a error from CVS (cvs: lock.c:178: lock_name: Assertion...)

Last question is about cache2.
To use the cache on a stream, I need to enable the cache by using
stream_enable_cache, but how do I push data into the cache?

Bertrand