[MPlayer-dev-eng] gcc 2.96 and mandrake.

Troels Liebe Bentsen tlb at rapanden.dk
Mon Oct 8 18:13:24 CEST 2001

I can see why you want people to use the standard
compiler provided by the gcc people and not some hacked
version provided by a distribution, but the newest
take "Enter keyword to continue:", plain sucks.
I read the message, that's why i used the
"--disable-gcc-checking", there is no need
to check twice. Please remove.

For general information the 2.96 gcc compiler in
mandrake 8.0 and up is not the same compiler found
in Redhat, it has more than 300 patches and includes
much of the code found in gcc 3.0, I personally have
not had problems with this compiler, either with mplayer
or the kernel for that matter. gcc 3.0 on the hand
brakes allot of code, and until this is fixed allot
of people will still be using "hacked" version of
gcc to compiler with.

I you for some strange reason feel the need to test
if "strange problem" from using 2.96 redhat release,
is in the 2.96 mandrake release, I will be happy to
help.

Regards
Troels Liebe Bentsen