[MPlayer-dev-eng] FIX THIS! (Was: Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/DOCS doMon Oct 1 22:28:48 2001

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 1 22:33:42 CEST 2001

Hi,

> One more thing that should be done is checking that every single piece of
> code included in the mplayer tree is GPL. No exceptions. Any other borrowed
> code should be marked as non-free.
>
> It can be a problem for distros as Debian.

Then debian guys will do that if they want.
We simply has no time and lawyers to do this work...

Afaik everything is GPL except opendivx encoder (maybe decoder too, but even
the projectmayo guys were unsure in this...).
But, of course, the code we used/created based on not fully legal sources,
mostly reverse engineered documents (asf format, divx codec, mpeg standard
etc).

We aren't interested getting into such distros such suse and debian.
If they want mplayer, they will do that licence stuff.
If users want to use mplayer, they can download and compile sources.

No one can write 100% legal movie player except microsoft.
(as they owns the most important patents)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu