[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer licensing [and lotso other stuff as I'm typing...]

pl p_l at tfz.net
Sat Nov 24 18:26:08 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 10:18:31AM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:
>
> > Second prob you thought about with binary builds was that it would make
> > people think of mplayer as shit, because pre-compiled stuff would be slower,
> > but there is a very simple solution to this:
> > Simply add a printf at mplayer startup that states: "If you are experiencing
> > performance problems, please read DOCS/SPEED"
>
> I see code in mplayer.c that looks for MMX, SSE etc.  Why not just add
> some ifdefed bits in there along the lines of:
>
> #ifndef USE_MMX (or whatever)
> if (gCpuCape.hasMMX)
>   fprintf(STDERR, "Warning: your CPU has MMX but mplayer was not compiled
>      to use MMX acceleration - performance will be much better if you
>      recompile on this system");
> #endif
[...]

We should also add around MMX/athlon/... asm optimization a :
   if (gCpuCape.hasMMX) {...asm()...}

I don't know to what extent it will cause a decrease in performance but
I guess it's acceptable for current systems.  Michael, Nick ?

Yet, if it's not, then there'll remain the standard current mecanism since
we'll '#define gCpuCape.hasMMX  1' (and not as a variable). This way,
gcc won't generate code for this always-true test (no performance loss).

Not ideal but it looks like a step towards better runtime autodetection.

--
Best regards,
  pl