[MPlayer-dev-eng] libac3 in mplayer - how much forked?

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 23 22:45:47 CET 2001

On Friday, 23. November 2001 19:40, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mplayer has its own libac3.  This is presumably libac3 aka liba52.
> How synchronized is it,  how long ago forked?

it's been forked quite some time ago back when liba52 was still libac3 and
has been merged with changes done to OMS version of libac3.

> I ask because liba52 now supports a full range of downmixes:
>
> A52_CHANNEL  : Dual mono. Two independant mono channels.
> A52_CHANNEL1 : First of the two mono channels above.
> A52_CHANNEL2 : Second of the two mono channels above.
> A52_MONO     : Mono.
> A52_STEREO   : Stereo.
> A52_DOLBY    : Dolby surround compatible stereo.
> A52_3F       : 3 front channels (left, center, right)
> A52_2F1R     : 2 front, 1 rear surround channel (L, R, S)
> A52_3F1R     : 3 front, 1 rear surround channel (L, C, R, S)
> A52_2F2R     : 2 front, 2 rear surround channels (L, R, LS, RS)
> A52_3F2R     : 3 front, 2 rear surround channels (L, C, R, LS, RS)
>
> A52_LFE      : Low frequency effects channel. Normally used to connect a
>                subwoofer. Can be combined with any of the above channels.
>                For example: A52_3F2R | A52_LFE -> 3 front, 2 rear, 1 LFE
> (5.1)

kewl :)

> A'rpi - I see posts from you in the list archives - some discussion about
> remerging etc.
>
> Given that I want to extend the libac3 in mplayer with more downmix
> options, I not sure how the possible remerge back into liba52 sits with
> that...
IMHO best thing is having liba52 support added to mplayer so one can compile
either libac3 or liba52 (first one for speed reasons), now we could start
introducing our asm additions into liba52 and while doing it fix bugs in
current libac3 code (it gives some high noise so theres some bug in it, seems
to me like it's in IDCT).

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos