[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI suggestion!

David Holm dholm at telia.com
Fri Nov 2 16:27:33 CET 2001

Hi,
ok, first of all, who is working on the gui?
Second, the important part. I was spawning some ideas in my head this
morning concerning the gui.
1. The current gui should be a general GUI available to themers and
other graphics inspired users, and also geared towards full
compatibility with all supported platforms.
query_video_driver_options(i), you get the drift. 2. My idea was that
there should ALSO be a GUI api consisiting of prototypes like say
query_video_drivers(int &i). Alternate gui's should be loaded using
dlopen (meaning they are compiled as shared objects stored in say
$PREFIX/share/mplayer/plugins etc, I've worked a lot with pluggable
modules before and could give some tips and pointers. I might also get
involved in the development of this AFTER I'm satisified with the dxr3
a/v plugins I'm working on. (My idea was to load gui's using mplayer
-gui <guiname> for plugins and -gui for the standard (as it is now)
This way there could be lots of cool plugins ( my idea was something
resembling m$ latest bloatware mplayer7 with limited browsing functions
of a page about online media etc using mozilla-dev ) and then someone
set up a page located at the mplayer.hu server which this gui would be
locked too (we don't want another mozilla based browser, just a cool
online updating media guide). This will also require another feature
which I personally see as pretty damn important. vo_* plugins SHOULD be
able to return raw RGB24 so we don't have to popup another video-out
window when using the gui (the current media player lookalike gui sucks
since video isn't within the gui as it should be but in a separate window).
Hopefully someone will pick up on this and add this to the video_out
api, then bear in mind (since I'm working on the dxr3 plugin ;),
query_output should have at least two outputs, raw rgb OR make the vo_*
driver draw the video at location x,y on screen using widht,height, the
dxr3 uses and overlay cable to play video on the monitor so it won't hog
the video board or cpu...

//David Holm