[Mplayer-dev-eng] ISO MPEG-4 Video V1 codec.

Bertrand BAUDET bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 12:08:23 CEST 2001

I have a sample movie:

ftp://thot.banki.hu/MPlayer/incoming/welcome3.wmv
(wmv & asf is the same format)

which wasn't reconize with the current codec.conf file.

The fourcc is:
fourcc:0x5334504D (MP4S)

I tried to add the entry (fourcc MP4S,mp4s) in several MP4 codec
and here is the result:

videocodec mpeg4: ICDecompressGetFormat failed: Error -2
videocodec mpeg4ds: segmentation fault
videocodec divxds: segmentation fault
videocodec divx: ICDecompressGetFormat failed: Error -100
videocodec odivx: Successfully play the movie.

So openDivx look like the appropriate codec for this fourcc!

I'm wondering if the segmentation fault is a known bug when we try to decode
a movie with a wrong codec. It looks like other codecs just return an error.

I don't know if this is something on the TODO list, but can be interesting to
have mplayer try all the codecs it knowns in its codec.conf file when mplayer
has an unknown fourcc. So it can autoupdate its codec.conf file and ask the
user to send a report! ...My 2 cents...

Bertrand