[Mplayer-dev-eng] MPlayer on IRIX ... (fwd)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun May 13 19:09:13 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I am currently trying to port your MPLayer to the IRIX architecture to be
> able to play Mpeg2 there -
> seems like no one has tried _that_ before ;) ...
Why don't you port mpg12play? (same as mplayer, but mpeg 1/2 only,
missing win32 and other x86 specific stuff)

> As expected I am missing a lot of Linux includes, and therefore I have
> some questions:
> .) cdrom.h (I can't turn off the CDROM-support, can I ?)
you can
remove all cdrom-specific code from stream.c|h

> .) Shmem support with some special feature:
>
> gcc -c -O4 -ffast-math  -Iloader -Ilibvo  -o linux/shmem.o linux/shmem.c
> linux/shmem.c: In function `shmem_alloc':
> linux/shmem.c:42: `MAP_ANON' undeclared (first use in this function)
> linux/shmem.c:42: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> linux/shmem.c:42: for each function it appears in.)
>
> The offending line was:
>     p=mmap(0,size,PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED,-1,0);
>
> Can I simply take away MAP_ANON, or do I need something more advanced ?
can't.
remove this whole section from shmem, there is portable(?) way using shm_
functions. MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED method is linux-only afaik.

> .) soundcard.h doesn't exist - no OSS support - that was the easiest part,
> I need to rewrite that anyways to connect to rplayd (rplay.doit.org), and
> I think that could be useful, if I get it to work ...
there is audio library on SGI, I used it in my mp3 player. check
mpg123, i got the code from it.
but you will have much more trouble with audio syncronization.
i dunno how to do it on sgi.

> .) same prob in mixer.c
forget it :)

> .) setup_FS.c - this looks like some helping stuff for the win codecs - I
> hope it's not essential, otherwise I'm scr**ed, since it contains
> assembler instructions ... it is not needed for playing back MPEG2, or is
> it ?
not. leave the whole loader/ subdir. and much more.
and finally you'll get mpg12play sources :)))

> Is there maybe a possibility to lift out the whole loader stuff for the
> Win32-DLLs ?
yes

> Thank you for your help in advance, and: This is currently the BEST player
> in Linux ! :-)
good luck for porting...
but got some tons of aspirin, you will get headache...
mplayer wasn't planned to be portable, both includes and byte-ordering.
even streaming or demuxer code won't work on mips...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu