[Mplayer-dev-eng] Version number

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 5 10:44:23 CEST 2001

Hi,

> What about 1.00 or 0.98 version for next release?
Later. We are far from being complete with this stuff.

> IMHO these numbers are gladly acceptable for next release:
> 1. A lot of bugs were fixed
as usual.

> 2. A-V resync problem probably solved for qualitative AVI streams.
> (At least I've not found this problem with my SB16 - 44100 max and 48000 audio streams)
> 3. It seems that mplayer now is ported on FreeBSD and Solaris-i386
> 4. A lot of new features were introduced.
yes.

> MPlayer still contains some lacks:
> 1. Missed CDROM mode for DVD disks
do you mean that .ifo parsing / correct DVD chapter etc positioning stuff?

> 2. Lacks possibility to playback several files continiously
yes. it's planned in the near future.

> 3. libao2 contains not many drivers.
hmm. alsa, oss, sdl (for esd,arts and all special drivers) isn't enough?

> 4. MPlayer can't decrease size of picture during scaling.
> (I.e. play 720x560 DVD in full sreen at 640x480 screen resolution)
hmm. it CAN for me! maybe it's a limitation of your video driver.
for example 3dfx card's Xv can't downscale image. G400 can.

> Probably 1, 2 and 4 could be present in TODO list.
>
> IMHO - 0.98 is good for next release. Aslo it would be possible to release 1.0 through several weeks.
> Anyway mplayer now is top usable opposite to 0.17a and earlier versions.
> When will be introduced normal GUI IMHO it is possible to release 2.0.
> (As for me - I think that TextMode (with windows, menu and so on) interface is better solution for mplayer
> - at least in TVout mode).

I think we should release 0.98 when the player is almost perfect.
We have too long TODO list yet.

Next steps after the 0.18 release:
- introducing libvo2, and porting drivers from libvo
  it will allow very fast direct rendering and multi-buffering
- optimization of some video functions, i mean scaling, yuv2rgb, sub/osd
  renderer etc. You can help a lot with these!
- add some control funcs to libao2 (volume control, etc)

- finish network streaming (asf, avi, mpg)
- implement input cache (integrating TOOLS/cache.c ?)
- move video decoding and fileformat-dependent stuff (open/seek/close)
  out from mplayer.c -> it requires for multi-file playing  (big work)

- implement DVD subtitle rendering (IMHO simple thing)
- implement DVD .ifo parser (German and/or LGB is working on that!?)
- finish sblive SPDIF output

I think these above are the minimum for the 0.98 release.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu