[Mplayer-dev-eng] projectmayo's divx codec...

Eugene Kuznetsov divx at euro.ru
Thu Jul 19 03:43:55 CEST 2001

Hello Christoph,

>>> 3) modify the internal buffer where the last frame was backuped?
>>> 4) influence the error measure like SAD?
>>
>> No, what for?

>3) for easy SMP parallelisation (heading to realtime encoding).
>Since I don't expect any source to be release, a method I came up with
>(and discussed with eagle) seems the only one to me that will be
>successful to get speedup and low latencies at the same time.

I haven't heard about it from eagle, and I still don't get the point. To
obtain parallelisation,
IMHO the best you can do is to encode different fragments of stream using
different
processors. I don't know about any programs which can do that, but it should
be possible
to do without any modifications of the encoder.

>4) for combination with two-pass. Since I don't expect any source to be
>released, but I still want to use "better" error measures in scenes where
SAD
>is known to be bad (e.g. fades/dissolves).

Error levels are normally not calculated at all, because they are not
needed. Usually they
are about constant for the fixed quantizer.

>>> The encoder engine is based on Eugene's "Sparky" codec
>>
>> Just for the record, this is absolutely not true, it is even written
>> in different language ( but since you probably won't ever see the source,
>> it does not matter :-) ).

>But it's based on "encore2" that was removed from PMs CVS some months(?)
>ago?

It _is_ "encore2" that was removed from PMs CVS in the end of April, with
some performance
improvements and added features. BTW you can take current binaries for Linux
( linked against
glibc 2.1.2 ) here:
http://www.projectmayo.com/projects/subproject.php?projectID=3&subprojectID=
4
There may be small updates to that package during next days as we do more
testing of codec in Linux.
Arpi seems to have its support in mplayer already, though it's not in CVS
yet.

--
Best regards,
Eugene