[Mplayer-dev-eng] MMS crops up again... ;-)

Bertrand BAUDET bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 20:46:07 CEST 2001

On Wednesday 04 July 2001 17:20, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > A while ago there was a whole furore of activity on the list regarding
> > MMS support, the solution provided by Tibu and others worked
> > absolutely well.
> >
> > But parallely there was some talk going on about MPlayer having built
> > in MMS support, is there anything happening over there?
> >
> > Awaiting your reply.
>
> MMS == ASF streaming?

Microsoft Media Server protocol:
"A protocol used to reference and stream .asf files from
a Windows Media server". (from mms doc)

> if so, then:
>
> Bertrand is working on it, but this will be finished after the
> input cache layer is implemented. But it isn't planned before the
> 0.18 release, and there are other things too.

For now I don't have much time to focus on it, but I will try
at least to fix the bug I have with asf streaming as soon as
I change the crappy gcc 2.96 :(
But sure the buffering/cache layer will help to improve
the streaming.

> My TODO list:
>
> 1. libvo -> libvo2 change  (maybe al3x&csibi helps in it)
> 2. move video codec control from mplayer.c to dec_video.c
> 2.5. implement input layer buffering/cache, finish network streaming
> 3. move demuxer stuff to libdemuxer, cleanup the rest of mplayer.c
> 4. quicktime (and maybe .rm, .fli etc :)) support to libdemuxer
> - release something here -
> 5. design and implement some common API for playback control (for GUIs)
> 6. integrate GUIs (or make them frontend-like if possible)
> - release something here -
> 7. implement multiplexers (mpg/avi/asf/etc file writers)
> 8. implement video grabbing (using code from ffmpeg) & TV app
> 9. implement encoder/converter/transcoder functions
> - release 1.0 here :)) -
> 10. porting mplayer to windows :)
I like the last one ;)

BTW, Arpi what's about stream that only have sound in it?
You told me that will be a little bit complicated to support this
kind of stream. But I don't see it in your TODO list.
Will mplayer support sound only file before the next release (0.19)?
It will be cool to listen to those radio streaming with mplayer.

Bertrand