[Mplayer-dev-eng] Wanted features!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Aug 13 21:47:08 CEST 2001

Hi,

> When opening an ASF file in MS Mediaplayer or Avifile, it immediatly says how
> long it is. Isn't there a way to scan the asf (without doing the
> frame-decoding) to tell how long it is? (and maybe also average fps?)  What
> about WMV-files? (I have no .wmvs here right now to check)
wmv==asf but renamed...

aviplay reads the whole file (and adds each frame duration and counts
frames). it take stoo long, and i see no sense of implementing it only for
seeing how long is it...

i dunno how win media player knows it, but they probably has the .asf specs :)
i think there is some info in asf header about this, but we have only a
partially reverse-engineered doc from avifile author, what doesn't contain this info.
you can play with the unknown fields in the asf blocks, check asfheader.c!
tell me if you found it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu