[Mplayer-dev-eng] S/PDIF passthrough patch "nearly" finished... need

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 7 16:12:29 CEST 2001

Hi,

i moved this thread back to the list.

> > Just checked. At first look: you shouldn't touch mplayer.c.
> > It has nothing to do with audio initialization and stuff.
>
> The only reason to touch mplayer.c was to find out whether
> there actually is an AC3 encoded stream available (as passing
> through other kinds of data wouldn't work anyway).
no. it's decided by the codec config parser, using codecs.conf.
you can't know it at mplayer.c

you should handle it in ao2_oss driver, based on value of format.
and also handle it in PCM driver in dec_audio.c (calculating
bytes/sec, and add extra header bytes)

> How should a piece of code in libao2 find out about this? I'm
if(format==AFMT_AC3) ...

> not even sure testing for "driver #3" was the right way to do it -
> what would you recommend?
you can't access sh_audio->driver variable from libao2.
and you shouldn't.

i think you doesn't understand the basic layout of mplayer.

> > It needs some more hacking of libac3 or making a minimal ac3 header parser.
>
> If you don't mind AC3 specific code outside libac3, then that
> should be no problem.
libac3 is a software ac3 decoder. it shouldn't be used for hardware
decoding, at least in this case, where nothing special requires except
pasisng through the chunk of data.

i don't know that oss driver how wants the ac3 frames, what are the
requirements (i mean that extra header bytes i know nothing about)

> > and it broke portability (i think no
> > more systems has AFMT_AC3 than linux)
>
> Then we need some other way for the audio device setup function to
> return whether AC3 passthrough is possible (because if not,
> decoding to PCM has to be done...). Any proposal?
I mean that AFMT_AC3 constant isn't defined in all soundcard.h file.

> > > There's another thing I'd like to add to mplayer: I'm using mplayer
> > > from the (frame-buffer) console, and the display is badly disturbed
> > > by the (not-to-disable) statistics output to the console. Also, the
> > > console should be cleared (best with enough \n, not \l) before the
> > > replay starts - doesn't look good to have some letters besided a
> > > movie... :-)
> > Add it to the code for yourself, but i won't commit to main cvs.
>
> I thought you liked the console, too... why are you against a minor
> additional feature that is necessary to make it sensible to use
> mplayer without X11?

mplayer [options] file > /dev/null

much simpler.
why to add bunch of silly options, if you have a shell? :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu