[Mplayer-dev-eng] Re: Dynamic Output Quality Patch, Take 2

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Aug 4 15:54:13 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Okay, those requests are reasonable. The new switch is -autoq as
> suggested, and stores it's setting in the variable auto_quality. The
> default behavior is to use autoq with the maximum supported value. -pp
> will override -autoq if specified.

I've applied patch, with heavy modification.
Your quality changing code didn't work for me, but I rewrite it and
now it's ok. I'm using sleeping time (idle time between each
frame decoding) as reference value:
If it's >0, then we have some idle time, increase quality (up to max).
If it's <0, then decrease quality (max to lowest postprocess level 1).
If it's <-0.050 ms, then disable postprocessing (level 0)

Btw mpeg decoder doesn't like switching postprocessing on/off at runtime,
at least for B frames. I'll somehow fix it soon.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu