[MPlayer-cygwin] --enable-x11

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:10:01 CET 2009

> This may seem daft to want to compile x11 support with a cygwin build,

It does seem kind of daft. What for?

> but has anyone been able to do it?

I haven't. I tried and gave up. I believe the main problem is having the
correctly installed x11 development libraries and headers for Cygwin.

> $ ./configure --enable-xv --enable-x11 --disable-xv
> --disable-vidix-internal --disable-vidix-external --disable-shm
> --prefix=/op/mplayer --disable-libavcodec_so --disable-nas
> --disable-gl --disable-openal --disable-alsa --disable-arts
> --disable-xinerama --disable-dpms && make
>
> it all seems well until it begins the final linking stage where it
> fails with a whole lot of missing references, I was  able to partially
> solve some of them by adding the following flags:
>
> -lX11 -lxcb -lxcb-xlib -lXau -lxdmcp  -lxcb-xinerama -lxcb-dpms
>
> -ravi

I would say a lot of your configure options are unnecessary. Just let the
configure script do it's thing. Configure should be intelligent enough to
detect
if your installed Cygwin does or does not have the necessary libraries to
enable or
disable a certain feature.

But you probably have a reason for disabling some options that you know
can be compiled. But when you enable certain options with configure you
really
need to know what you're doing. In other words, you're probably a developer
or a
very advanced user and not just compiling a program to use to play a movie.

One option that is commonly recommended in Cygwin and MinGW, however, is
to use --enable-static to avod dependency problems.