[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: vo_directx: no triple buffering with certain videos [followup]

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Feb 28 15:43:35 CET 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:06:17PM +0100, Frank Aurich wrote:
>> ATi drivers do not support OpenGL yet on Vista, so that unfortunately is
>> not an option right now.
>
> Are you sure? Doesn't it just disable Aero? In that case you might try
> attached patch, I'd like to know if it helps.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

Back when I wrote the post you're referring to, ATi drivers for Vista didn't
have OpenGL support yet. That came with ATi Catalyst 7.01 (the January release).
So yes, now I could use the OpenGL video out driver.

I tested OpenGL output in January, but the video playback was rather slow,
despite the CPU only being used up to ~75%. Now with the February driver
release, it's even worse (maybe 5fps or so). There's a lot of tearing as well.

There's another reason why I don't use OpenGL: There seems to be an issue with
fullscreen, or at least switching from fullscreen to window mode.

I start playback, video plays in a window. I hit 'F' for fullscreen, which works
as expected. If I hit 'F' again, Mplayer switches back to a window, but doesn't
restore the original size. Effectively it shows a maximized window, with the
video completely stretched (no black bars).

Since DirectX is working again, this isn't a big deal for me, but some might be
bothered by it.

Frank