[MPlayer-cygwin] dvdnav crashes on displaying menu

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 13:41:00 CEST 2006

Erik Lunchpail wrote:
>--- John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Up to 2006-09-09, "mplayer -dvd-device c:/dvd2/video_ts dvdnav://"
> > simply played the first title, apparently without even attempting to
> > display the menu.. As of 2006-09-10, the same command
> > crashes with an "Asssertion failed" (see below). By adding -vo png, I
> > was able to determine that it displays the menu (and only the menu;
> > just 1 frame) and then crashes.
>
>Try the attached patch. I put it together when messing around with
>Otvos Atilla's dvdnav patch. The assert() will always fail if the $HOME
>environment variable is not set, which afaik doesn't get set by default
>in Windows XP. I modified it to check for HOME, HOMEPATH, and
>USERPROFILE, the latter 2 being the most common in XP.

My assert relates to a different problem:

Assertion failed: w == -1 || w >= vf->w, file vf.c, line 270

I knew about HOME, and it is set to c:\progra~1\mplayer. Anyway, I applied
the patch. At least now I am no longer forcefully reminded to set HOME.

>The vm.c changes are to properly read the dvd titles using dvdread
>functions. Borrowed from a VLC contrib patch...

Yes, getting more info now.

>When I compiled dvdnav in mingw, I first installed libdvdcss with
>--disable-shared --enable-static. I then had to configure libdvdnav and
>manually add the HAVE_CSS_H or something similar in config.h and added
>-ldvdcss to the Makefile in order to have dvdnav statically link
>against it (again with --disable-shared --enable-static).

I configured libdvdnav with CFLAGS=-DHAVE_DVDCSS_DVDCSS_H LDFLAGS=-ldvdcss.
I still had to add -ldvdcss to MPlayer's config.mak. It did not fix my
problem,but I suppose
that it is useful to have dvdcss enabled.

Anyway, I discovered that it crashes with 2 DVDs and plays the first title
with another, but in neither case am I given a chance to select from the
menu, as it is displayed for a fraction of a second. I am not sure what the
difference is, as I made them all myself the same way, and they all play in
PowerDVD and a standalone DVD player.