[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: A small Mplayer + Cygwin HOWTO

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 13:08:20 CEST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:44:47 -0700 (PDT), Walter Belhaven wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm attempting to build the latest mplayer from svn on cygwin,
>following as closely as possible Pekka's excellent how-to, with the
>improvements/mods suggested by Tom.  Here are links to the original
>posts, for convenience:
>
>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.cygwin/2320
>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.cygwin/2341
>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.cygwin/2342

I use MSYS, not Cygwin. I don't know why they feel that the Mingw32 HOWTO is
outdated. It worked well enough for me, so if you are using Cygwin just to
compile MPlayer, it isn't really necessary. Anyway, your issues may not be
Cygwin-specific.

>Everything seems to work swimmingly until 'make' tries to link
>everything together into the mplayer.exe executable, at which point I
>get tons of errors along the lines of:
>
>libvo/libvo.a(vo_gl.o):vo_gl.c:(.text+0xa9): undefined reference to
>`_glViewport'
>
>I tried disabling x11 with "--disable-x11" but that didn't change
>anything.

It is looking for OpenGL libraries, not X11.

I've gotten the latest svn source of mplayer (as of about 12
>hours ago), and I've done a complete update and install of anything and
>everything cygwin.
>
>Any suggestions?

I built faac, or at least I thought I did, and yet I get the
>following link errors (along with the libvo-type errors mentioned
>above) when building mplayer:
>
>libavcodec/libavcodec.a(faac.o):faac.c:(.text+0x3f): undefined
>reference to `_faacEncOpen at 16'

You built faac, but did you iremember to "make install"? Is it in the
compiler's search path?

General suggestions:
=============

1) Are you forcing OpenGL, faac, etc. with --enable-<package>? Even if you
think that the necessary headers and libraries are installed, it is best to
let configure detect them naturally. It it doesn't, then check the log, then
make the necessary changes so that configure will detect them. For example,
you may have to set an environment variable such as LIBS or LDFLAGS, or a
library-specific variable (check their docs).

For example, if you want to use the static pthreads library with Mingw, you
have to define PTW32_STATIC_LIB, or you will get undefined symbol errors,
because the function names are decorated incorrectly. I have also had to
modify pkg-config scripts to make them return the necessary values when
MPlayer's configure calls them.

2) If a library has a runtime package and a development package, you should
install both.