[MPlayer-cygwin] Problems while using "ao=dsound" and "ao=win32"

Victor Farias nk21507 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 4 01:30:27 CEST 2006

Hi :)

I am using latest SVN (19665) under a MinGW/msys environment.

When "-ao dsound" is used in MPlayer (under Windows), there are the
following problems:

- There is a negative delay between the audio track and the internal
subtitles track (MKV/OGM files).

Negative delay means that the internal subtitles will be displayed almost
one second earlier than the audio. Since the "-subdelay" command does not
work for internal subtitles, there is no way to workaround this behavior.

Note: If you use "libass" to display the subtitles, then the negative delay
will not occur (the playback will be flawless).

- The last audio frames will be repeated (at the end of playback) when the
audio track is shorter than the video track.

This behavior is very easy to reproduce, just start playing a file, which
has an audio track shorter than the video track (or you can use the "A-V
delay" option to achieve this).

I think this problem is related to the issue below.

- The "Audio output truncated at end" message will be displayed at the end
of playback, when playing an audio-only file (mostly MP3 files).

This behavior is really easy to reproduce when playing an MP3 file using the
"-ao dsound" command.

None of the problems above are triggered when using "-ao win32". However
this output has another problem, which can be reproduced when playing 5.1
audio files. The playback will be really slow.

For example: Try playing any file with 5.1 sound using the "-channels 6"
command, something like:

mplayer -ao win32 -channels 6 <filename>

If you use "-ao dsound" the problem will not be triggered.

Note: If you try a 5.1 Vorbis file, then the command "-channels 6" is not
necessary.

My system is: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S939, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
(ForceWare 81.98), Windows XP Professional SP2.

I hope you can understand this report, and reproduce all the problems.

Byes :(

* Sorry for my poor english.

Yakusoku wa iranai.