[MPlayer-cygwin] codecs.conf

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 03:33:58 CEST 2006

>From: <PBVillaflores at smart.com.ph>
> > Try downloading GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
><http://www.headbands.com/gspot/> ). It will tell
>you which codecs are needed to play your file.
>
>I tried GSpot already.  On any PC that I have (whether ATI multimedia is
>present or not), GSpot is >unable to discern the codec.  It reports that
>the .VCR file from ATI TV recorder is not a valid AVI file.

I received  your larger sample.
GSpot 2.52b01 tells me:
DVD "VOB" format
MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud, 1 other }
Sys bitrate: 4457 kb/s VBR

Video: codec = MPEG2_Video, Length = 3 seconds, frame rate = 29.97, W x H =
640 x 240
Audio: codec = MPEG-1 Layer 2, 44100Hz, 224 kb/s

It suggests some DVD codecs for the video, but it crashes when I try to
render.

I don't have any ideas. Maybe one of the experts can tell you if MPlayer is
even supposed to be able to play the file. It may be that ATI implemented
their codec as a DirectShow filter, which is not well supported by MPlayer,
although there is something about them in the docs.