[MPlayer-cygwin] Any interest in a hack I made?

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 14:03:54 CEST 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:45:52 +0200
Reinier Zwitserloot <surial at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've made the following hack to mplayer. It's definitely not the
> cleanest code (I'm not a C programmer) but it works, and I've come up
> with some nifty uses for it:
>
>  hack #1: Allows specifying start and end  byte position within a
> file. Useful for, amongst other things, using mplayer as a backend for
> playing video files embedded inside another, larger, data file.
>
> Usage:
>
> mplayer mybigcontainer.dat at pos:1234:5678

if you put this as -eb for endbyte, it will probably be committed...

>  hack #2: by setting 'AUTO_PLAY_SELF', mplayer compiles with the
> following 'feature':
>
>  if no command line is detected, assume that the command line reads:
>
> -fs -autosync 30 -framedrop c:\absolute\path\to\mplayer.exe at pos:10597045

haha! thats a neat idea! and on windows it might actually work! on linux
or other os it might have trouble because not everyone has -vo xv or etc..

this feature would work with an mplayer config next to mplayer, to add
more options? how do you create such mplayer files?
cat mplayer file1>mplayer.exe?

maybe a way to reverse such thing would be good too (or maybe -dumpstream
can do it).

>  --Reinier Zwitserloot

anyways, patches are welcome. the win32 mplayer packagers all maintain
thier own hacks :)

-compn