[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Mplayer win32 GUI questions

R.Ivarson Rivarson at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 15:57:24 CET 2005

Hi Erik,

thanks a lot for your kind answers and your work on Mplayer's GUI inclusive
version for Win32!

Four small questions, please.

Erik Lunchpail wrote:

> It will still accept any commandline parameters you
> pass to it on the commandline. However, if you hit the
> "J" key you can cycle through the subtitle sid's, and
> "V" enables/disables subtitles when playing your DVD.

This works very well with DVDs and so I don't need any command line
parameter anymore to enable (or disable or cylce through) the different
subtitles. Great.
Just to select a different language I need to use mplayer -lang XY or
-aid 128+X. Or enter it in the config file.
Q1) ... is there a simpler way to change them, for example at runtime?

Q2) Being at DVDs: when I play them from harddisc the movie length time is
being shown as 0:00:00h in the OSD and the player quits when I try to time
jump above 15 or 20 mins. Directly from a DVD drive it works fine, so far.

>> 3) Screensaver. There's a Mplayer switch to disable
(..)
> Fixed with the vo_directx method, will be in the next
> patch. Will send him my latest patch tonight, so check
> his page for updated builds.

This is excellent news! I'm going to check his site.

>> 4) Is there a complete list of key names and usable
>> actions so I can change
>> the "MPlayer input control file" input.conf ?
>
> Look at input.c, should give you a good idea of what
> key does what/how to change them.

Diego has kindly pointed to a small text file which contains them (you
corrected the new adress). Thanks.

Q3) Is there a certain reason the OpenGL driver (-vo gl2) is missing in the
GUI inclusive version named "mplayer-gui-rtm-cvs-20051031.zip" ?
Because it would allow my beloved zoom/panscan function.

The gl2 driver is included in the GUI exclusive version named
"mplayer-<arc>-cvs-20051031.zip" which I jump to when I've to panscan.
However since it's without GUI it's not so nice to use.

Q4) I've bound various Windows file types to the GUI inclusive Mplayer.exe
(action open with <path>\player.exe "%1"). Works great; until I doubleclick
another media file and so a second instance of Mplayer opens, which is not
what is useful in this case.
Is there a trick to always use the same instance of a running Mplayer?

Well, I've to say I really like Mplayer. Great job, you developers and patch
providers and testers and helpers! Opensource is nice.
I think it could be _the_ killer application on Win32 for media. It probably
_is_ on Unix/Linux already.
It's so much simpler to "install" on Win32 compared to direct show players:
well, just unzip it and there you go. No tons of directshow filters, no
conflicts, etc.

However the GUI inclusive version for Win32 still needs some improvments so
that it's going to be idiot proof for the masses of Windoze users and me. :-)
  Well, please keep up your good work.

-ric