[MPlayer-cygwin] Problem with subtitles

Tomasz Rojek tiroy at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Mar 21 14:18:31 CET 2005

Hi group,

I have annoying problem with mplayer. It does not see subfont.ttf (actually
Arial.ttf). I tried builds from:
- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/
- http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/cygmp/
- http://csant.info/mplayer.htm
with no success.

my config contains:

vo=directx
double=yes
font=c:/winnt/fonts/arial.ttf
autosync=100
framedrop=yes
quiet=yes
#adapter=2

If I start mplayer it complaints for the font file:

New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).

But the file is there!

ll /home/waw00968/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
-rwx------+ 1 waw00968 Domain Users 311636 Nov 17  2003
/home/waw00968/.mplayer/subfont.ttf*

It is even in /home/waw00968/.mplayer/font/

Can it be a problem with the instalation path? I have installed mplayer in
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/moje/mplayer/

while cygwin environment sits here:
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/

In my basrc I have
alias mplayer='/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/moje/mplayer/mplayer -subfont-encoding
cp1250 -subfont-autoscale 2

I also tried to put subfont.ttf in
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/moje/mplayer/conf and
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/moje/mplayer/conf/font

subdirectiories, but I always get the same output. I also tried to run
mplayer with font specified in the command line:

mplayer reservoir_dogs.avi -sub reservoir_dogs.txt -osdlevel 2 -font
/home/waw00968/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)

Cannot load font: /home/waw00968/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
getch2: 6 can't get number of input events  [disabling console input]
Playing reservoir_dogs.avi.
VO: [directx] 640x288 => 640x288 Packed YUY2
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

Can it be a problem with the instalation path? I have installed mplayer in
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/moje/mplayer/

while cygwin environment sits here:
/cygdrive/c/FOLDER/

I remember that with some previous version (pre5 or pre4) I had no such
problems. Please help.

--
Greetings

Tomasz Rojek