[MPlayer-cygwin] Using third-party MPEG decoders

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Tue Oct 5 21:34:01 CEST 2004

Joey,

> Read MPlayer's DOCS and source. Read DxVA DOCS. Write code.
> Send patch.

I did some of this - the reading part at least. My conclusion
is that DxVA is best implemented in the MPEG decoder library.
I looked at the libmpeg2 as well as ffmpeg and found that
it wouldn't be easy to shoehorn DxVA support in either. Both
are very Unix-centric and to add a Windows-specific feature
in either would probably require considerable work. This is
beyond my capabilities.

So I looked for Windows-specific MPEG decoders and found a
few that also implement DxVA. Some of these decoders can
be used with more than one media player. I don't know how
they interface with these media players but I was curious
to find out if mplayer could use any of these.

> > And since they all cost the same so I would like to know
> > if any one is better than the others, especially for mplayer.
>
> Buying any of those three pieces of software will not make any
> difference in MPlayer.  You seem to be confused.

It is very likely that I am not even asking the right questions.
I found out about DxVA and have been trying to figure out how to
use it. I was hoping that the MPEG decoders I mentioned had some
standard interface and I could tell mplayer to use one of them
instead of the default. Essentially I was hoping to switch out the
default MPEG decoder library with one of these.

One piece of information I found since I asked my question
yesterday is that the Windows decoders I mentioned are all
DirectShow decoders and not DMO decoders. I don't know if
that means something to you all and if that helps answer the
'can mplayer use it?' question.

- Harshal