[MPlayer-cygwin] Change priority to realtime in windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Oct 5 19:33:22 CEST 2004

Hi,
>>Any volunteers to implement something like this as an option?  It has
>>been requested many many times..
>
> #ifdef WIN32
> # include <windows.h>
> #endif
>   [...]
> #ifdef WIN32
>   SetThreadPriority(GetCurrentProcess(), THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL);
> #endif
>
> IMHO, "time critical" is helpful, but not so aggressive that it even
> needs to be optional.  I do this in my packages.  With this priority,
> MPlayer gets preference over other normal apps, but will still defer CPU
> time to critical OS tasks.

It gave problems for some users nevertheless. And I already posted a
patch that does something like this once, but nobody cared to make it an
option.
I'm also not sure if THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL exists on e.g. win98
can someone check? And last but not least I'm not too sure if raising
thread priority will help enough - I might test if I ever boot into
Windows again ;-)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger