[MPlayer-cygwin] mingw compile/mplayer binary codecs question (aha!)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Mar 9 03:46:16 CET 2004

Compn writes:
 > At 3/9/2004 2:16:00 AM, you wrote:
 > >Compn writes:
 > > >
 > > > ah, figured out how to fix the problem! just put mplayer in the same dir
 > > > as the codecs and it works, strange... :)
 > >
 > >They need to be in the path, or in the dir that MPlayer expect them to
 > >be, usually whatever you passed to the --with-codecsdir option of
 > >configure.
 >
 > i was under the impression the codecs were to go in the ~/mplayer/codecs/ dir
 > because all of the mplayers were built in to look there first. in this case, moving
 > the codecs to ~/mplayer/ works, so all of the mplayers check their home dir first
 > and ignore the codecs dir (or go to wherever they were specified --with-codecsdir)

Just because a directory is named "codecs" does not make it the
directory that your version of MPlayer was compiled to look in..  I
agree it is confusing.  If you are not using your own version,
complain to the author of the binary.

 > would it be better to just have a config entry for the codecsdir instead of using
 > a configure switch?

Dunno if it is possible, feel free to come up with a patch.

 > thanks for all the speedy help!

Diego

P.S.: Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed.