[MPlayer-cygwin] mplayer

Stefan Gürtler Stefan.guertler at stud.tum.de
Wed Jun 16 18:52:09 CEST 2004

Subject: [MPlayer-cygwin] mplayer

> I downloaded MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre4.zip from the mplayer website and
> unzipped it. There is an executable mplayer.exe but it doesnt execute.
> What configuration do I need to do? I searched through the README files
> and documentation but couldnt find anything. Do I have to compile the
> source code? Should I download "MPlayer v1.0pre4 source"?
>
> thanks,
>
> Rohan

Double clicking the file you should see, for a fraction of a second, a
command box.
(comand.com on Win9x, cmd.exe on WinXP)
Try dropping a movie on the executeable, e.g. any MPEG4 file should work
right out of the box.
For files which need special codec dlls, you should collect thoes on your
system or download them from mplayerhq.hu.
To see the output of mplayer to read the error messages, you should open a
command box, change to the folder where mplayer is located and then run the
command:
mplayer.exe C:\Path\to\Movie.ext (-v)
When the -v is given, extra information is outputted. You have a Win98 and
can not scroll back?
mplayer.exe C:\Path\to\Movie.ext (-v) > out.txt

If it is still not working (processor without even MMX?), you have to
compile mplayer yourself.
Download MPlayer-1.0Pre4, unpack it and have a look at the chapter ports in
the documentation in the subfolder DOCS/html/en/ports.html. I hope you know
the basics of shell commands for unix/linux.

Stefan