[MPlayer-cygwin] X shared memory extension

Stefan Gürtler Stefan.guertler at stud.tum.de
Wed Jun 9 00:13:00 CEST 2004

> > Hi,
> >
> > > I will give it a try and then give a report of what is going wrong
when
> > > using gmplayer on cygwin using the x11 and gl2 vos. Thanks for the
hind.

> > Any news on that? I'd especially like to know about any problems with
> > gl/gl2.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Reimar Döffinger
>
> Sorry, i was away for the weekend. I will do some testing in the coming
> evenings.
>
> Stefan

I did some test, and i have to say that the gui is working somehow for the
most vos´, but with some adjustments done it still can be improved.

I have a problem with switching to/from fullscreen via keyboard in all vos,
that is x11, gl2, directx and winvidix. E.g. the video output is resized but
jumps back to its original size in an instance. Using the contextmenue on
the other hand works just fine.
vo x11 is not working with every start parameter given to X. I can not start
X in fullscreen at all, the standart xinitrc that comes with cygwin xorg
packages started "XWin -multiwindow  -clipboard". Then the vo x11 works. But
if i start without the -multiwindow and start wmaker, i always get an error
from gmplayer.
$ X &
$ wmaker -display :0 &
-> start xterm in wmaker via context menue
gmplayer -vo x11 ->ok
choose a file and start playback -> error!
gmplayer & -> mplayer does not come up.
I will do some more tests on this one.

Starting x win -multiwindow -clipbaord gmplayer -vo winvidix only opens one
addintional video output window (titelt MPlayer VIDIX Win32 Overlay) similar
to vo directx in the backround actually running the movi. The original video
output window (titeled MPlayer - Video) just turns black and stays on top.
Both windows do not allow an context menu. Pressig 'f' with focus on the
second window will bring the MPlayer - Video window to fullscreen just
showing black, but the (second/overlay) window running the movie keeps the
size and keeps showing the next frames. Switching through the windows with
ALT+Tab will make mplayer display the resized movie on the MPlayer - Video
window, the smaller/overlay one turns pink. Stopping playback is hard, 'q',
the x on the topleft of the window is not working, the x on the gui is not
working, gui is not reacting to any input no more. Update: when the small
pink video output window gets the focus again, i can quitt using 'q'.
Playing another window, e.g. this mail, over the MPlayer - Video window
showing the resized movie will result in black areas (e.g. the text) showing
the video. Funny.

gmplayer -vo gl2 has the issue with keyboard 'f' like all the video output
drivers, and is undiscribeable slow, but otherwise works fine for me.
gmplayer -vo gl  gives error message:

VO: [gl] 352x236 => 352x236 RGB 32-bit
[ws] Error in display.
[ws]  Error code: 8 ( BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) )
[ws]  Request code: 146
[ws]  Minor code: 5
[ws]  Modules: decode_video

Stefan at j5u7r1 ~
$
The the input to the console via keyboard is not shown anymore.

gmplayer -vo directx has the issues with opening another video windows, that
was already explained in this thread. Adititonally, i have to mention that
swithching to fullscreen via 'f' will give me a fullscreen window that stays
fullscreen, but displays only the very next frame. Switching to the other
tow mplayer windows via Alt+Tab is impossible, returning from fullscreen via
keyboard ins impossible, no context menue. Only killing mplyer in the bash,
for which X was started, worked.
Starting gmplayer without a video will result in the two standard windows,
one titeled MPlayer - Video and one showing the gui. Context menue works on
the MPlayer - Video window, and gui reacts to clickes. Starting the
playback, the gui still scrolls the file titel, but does not react to mouse
clicks no more. Context menue in MPlayer - Video gets impossible, too.
Starting gmplayer without a file and resizing to fullscreen via 'f' or
context menue before starting playback will result in the third window
displaying the video in fullscreen, but i had to stop mplayer with window
task manager, as i could not access any other window no more.

gmplayer -vo winvidix -fs give a fullscreen MPlayer - Video with the
MPlayer-Logo from my skin Blue printed two times to it, one time in the top
left corner in the background and a second time in the middle on top of the
other. Using top left symbol for fullscreen will give me one mplayer logo.
Starting the first video from the playlist will result in two video windows,
the MPlayer - Video with just the first frame and then the audio just
repeats the first frame and the additional one all greyed out where the
video is supposed to be, with black letter boxes above and below. Focusing
the last one i can quit using 'q'.

By the way, my ~/.mplayer/config only holds framedrop1 and quiet=1. Skin is
Blue v, and a font is in ~/.mplayer/fonts.
I did not get X shared memory extension running. I think i am missing the
right CYGWIN environment variable, but i have no time to figure out what to
assign to CYGWIN in e.g. .bashrc or cygwin.bat

So much for today.
Stefan