[MPlayer-cygwin] win32 mplayer can't play dvd's

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Jan 25 04:21:46 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:57:29PM +0000, devans at presscentre.net wrote:
> > It is -dvd-device e:/video_ts on windows 98. Not sure if -dvd-device E: will
> > work on other windows versions.

-dvd-device E: works fine.

In fact, IIRC from the relevant code, if you use e:/video_ts, then
it will not be read as a raw device like it's supposed to be for direct
DVD access.  So I find it strange that it works for you.

-dvd-device X: also works fine for me in WinXP.
I noticed in your first post that you wrote dvd://0 , which may be a
problem.  IIRC, 0 is not a valid chapter number.  Try dvd://1 or dvd://2
or something.

> The -dvd-device D: trick does'nt work on my XP system, although that would be the
> ideal thing, to just put the DVD into the drive and to say "Play this DVD".
> I wonder if i'm missing something, is that possible ?

My binary package can create a file association to your DVD drive and do
just that using the context menus in My Computer.

> What should go in codecs.conf if I use the latest win32 codec pack ?
> Do I even need this codec pack if I run the windows port of mplayer,
> i'm assuming this is necessary.

You don't need to alter codecs.conf.  Just install MPlayer normally
unless otherwise directed.  And the codecs pack is for codecs that
MPlayer has no native support for.  Strictly for DVD playback, you don't
need it.

> C:\Program Files\mplayer>mplayer -dvd-device d:/video_ts dvd://01_01

Yeah, again, you are using the command line wrong.
Try "dvd://1 -chapter 5" for title 1, chapter 5.
Try "dvd://5 -chapter 2-7" for title 5, chapters 2-7.

> Reading disc structure, please wait...
> There are 11 titles on this DVD.
> There are 11 chapters in this DVD title.
> There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
> DVD successfully opened.

> libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open d:/video_ts for reading
> libdvdread: Device d:/video_ts inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.

You should use -dvd-device D: instead.  These lines above show that
you're doing it wrong.

--Joey

--
"Living in the complex world of the future is somewhat
like having bees live in your head.  But, there they are."