[MPlayer-cygwin] Trident CyberDVD 9525 / DirectX / WinXP problems

poing poing at mdma.ath.cx
Thu Oct 23 07:58:45 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have problems playing xvids with the most recent mplayer-cygwin on
my Sharp PJ2-X3 notebook (333 MHz P2, 128mb RAM, WinXP SP1, DirectX 9.0b,
Trident CyberDVD 9525 graphics in 1024x768x16bit mode - it's a couple of
years old). I get an odd kind of colour distortion - most of the picture
black & white, overlayed with stretched-out red / green / blue outlines
of the areas that should have been coloured.

I tried to take a screenshot with the DirectX capture mode of the SnagIt
screenshot tool but it just gave me black results.

If I turn off directx acceleration in dxdiag the problem goes away, but
playback is far too slow. The same problem occurs with Media Player
Classic. Oddly enough MPEG-1 files are fine with mplayer and MPC. WinDVD
and Windows Media Player never have the problem, but they play the
problematic files far too slow. The files played fine while I had Win98 on
the laptop, and play flawlessly with mplayer 1.0pre2 on linux or on my
WinXP desktop.

Any ideas? I guess it's some kind of bug in the way DirectX uses the
graphics driver, I've been unable to find one newer than the one that
comes with WinXP. Changing to 800x600x16.7m doesn't help the problem.
I'd really like to be able to watch these xvids on my notebook, so I'd
appreciate any helpful suggestions...

poing