[MPlayer-cygwin] bunch of questions

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Tue Oct 21 23:25:09 CEST 2003

> Hi!
>
> 1. 7zip is new compression format. It is also being ported to Linux.
> www.7-zip.org . File sizes, (exe is self extracting archive):
>
> 10/05/2003  02:00p           5,090,221 MPlayer-1.0pre2-win32.zip
>
> 10/21/2003  10:29p           2,238,513 MPlayer-1.0pre2-win32.7z
> 10/21/2003  10:34p           2,307,633 MPlayer-1.0pre2-win32.exe
>

> 10/05/2003  11:25a           2,654,557 mplayer-wingui-preview.zip
>
> 10/21/2003  10:36p           2,043,246 mplayer-wingui-preview.7z
> 10/21/2003  10:37p           2,112,366 mplayer-wingui-preview.exe

I'll look into this, thanks.

> 2. Any chance of including xvid encoding?
> How can I set xvid quality to 95% like in virtualdub? Is it possible with
> divx/lavc ?

Xvid encoding is not yet supported on windows. I'm not doing encodings
myself, therefore
I did not even try to compile it. There shouldn't be much problems in
compiling mplayer with
xvid support, maybe someone else already did it.

> 3. I guess you are not allowed to ship it with liblame.
> If lame is downloaded from somewhere else can it be used with
> mencoder? Maybe in some future version if not in this?

Afair the latst version, I uploaded was compiled with lame support.

> 4. Is there a way to use mencoder -oac null in win port? mencoder -oac
help shows copy and pcm.

Did you try?
I don't see why it wouldn't work

> 5. Can you add vqf file support?

You may ask this on mplayer-users, this question is more meant for porting
questions.

> 6. I am using vodoo 3,windows 2000, directx 9, p2/300 and when I display
subtitles movie slows down. I can watch movies ok with framedrop.
> Displaying big sub files is better, but text srt files really slows it
down

Yes, your system is probably to slow. I can't do anything to fix it. Hm, did
you try with mplayer -vop format=yuy2 ?

> 7. When encoding you can use -oac copy audiofile.mp3. You forgot to add it
> to the man file.

Diego?

> 8. Playing ogm(theora video) files shows too much squares? Vp3 codec
version 3.2.6.1 (vfw).
> Encoded with virtual dub.

Theora support is missing in the current build, but I heard from some people
that it is possible
to compile windows mplayer with it.

www.nullsoft.com.

> Will you include theora and maybe ogg encoding in the future versions?

MPlayer g2 has a demuxer for those files. I'm not sure if someone is going
to port the new demuxers
to current mplayer. If not you will have to wait until mplayer-g2 is ready.

> 9. Some mov files play fine with codecs downloaded in codec dir, but
mencoder can't decode
> audio when I try to convert mov to avi? Charlies angels animated series
mov file.

The quicktime dlls do not always work from the codecs dir. It is better to
install them
into you windows system dir.

 > Sorry for so many questions :)

No problem.

> I like that you can just download avi file and play it in windows
> without downloading extra codecs. What a relief :) .

:)