[MPlayer-cygwin] Problem compiling new mplayer-versions

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Oct 16 04:33:52 CEST 2003

Sycotic Smith writes:
 > > Erlend Slettevoll writes:
 > >  > However, when I'm running make, I get a message
 > >  > saying "gcc: unrecognized option '-rdynamic',
 > >
 > > I've been wondering about this one for some time.  Is it relevant
 > > enough to remove it from configure for Cygwin/MinGW?  What does it do?
 >
 > This is nothing new, it seems to be a gcc option that isn't
 > relevant to Cygwin/MinGW at all, and AFAIR isn't even needed on
 > Linux anymore. I say it should be removed altogether, unless
 > someone knows the reason why it is there in the first place. I
 > haven't been able to find it in any manpage for gcc I have ever
 > looked through. I believe it is totally deprecated, at least for
 > this platform for sure.

Actually it means that --export-dynamic is passed to the linker ld,
it's explained in this thread

http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/2002-11/msg00114.html

and short and sweet here:

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-gcc/1998-Jun/0005.html

However, Cygwin's gcc does not appear to support that option.

These lines in configure are responsible:

test "$_xanim" = yes && _ld_dl_dynamic='-rdynamic'
test "$_real" = yes && _ld_dl_dynamic='-rdynamic'

Commenting them out does not seem to make a difference, though.

Diego