[MPlayer-cygwin] more recent win32 builds?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Mar 26 11:32:09 CET 2003

Hi,

> >  > Would be cool if someone could compile it and send it to me,
> >  > because I do not have the money to buy a version of Microsoft
> >  > Visual C++ which allows to redistribute the program in compiled
> >  > form.
> >
> > Does anybody have experiences with mingw?  I just saw that it is now
> > possible to build Mozilla with it, but I must admit I never tried it
> > myself.
> >
> > Diego
>
> Some time ago I tryed to compile mplayer with it. AFAIR the only big problem
> was
> the use of select() in keyboard code and the fork() in cache2. If anyone
> knows how
> to get rid of them please go ahead.

the keyboard code (getch2.c) should be rewritten for windows, using native
keyboard access function of win32 api (instead of tty ioctl + select hack,
which are very unix specific).
if vo_directx.c does native keyboard handling, then getch2 could be avoided
(use dummy functions) as it's unneeded (unless some win32 user wants to
control the player from the console window)

cache2 should be either disabled (#undef USE_STREAM_CACHE in config.h) or
changed/rewritten to use threads instead of fork.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team